HMS Maori


This 1959-ton Tribal Class British Destroyer, built by Fairfield in Govan, England, was launched on 2nd September 1937, with an overall length of 115m, breadth 11m, main armament 8 X 4.7in guns, 4 X 21in torpedo tubes, twin screws with a speed of 36 knots and a crew of 190 men. During World War II, HMS Maori was involved in the following campaigns: April/May 1940 – Norway; Bismark – May 1941; Malta Convoys during 1941 and 1942. She was one of the four destroyers which sank two Italian cruisers near Cape Bon on the 13th December 1941.

Read more...

SS MARGIT MV ODILE PHOTO SHARON FORDER

 

This 3496 ton passenger ship, 105.5 metres in length with a 13.7 metre beam, was built in 1912 by Forges & Chantiers de la Mediteranee at La Seyne (Yard No. 1055) and named ‘Theodore Mante’ over the next twenty seven years her name was changed several times, Mustaapha II, Djebel Antar and Gatun, in 1939 she was re-named Margit. She arrived in Malta at 1700hrs on 17th April 1939 from Marseilles under a Panamanian flag.

Read more...

DIVE MALTA SUBWAY ROZI 2

 

The patrol boat P29 formerly Boltenhagen, which now lies at a maximum depth of 38m off Cirkewwa, Malta’s most popular dive location, started life in former East Germany. The P29 is a Kondor class boat designed and built on the Peenewerft, Wolgast in East Germany in the 1960’s, 52 metres in length weighing 360 tons. It was primarily a minesweeper, though several variants also existed, possibly engaged in fisheries protection, border control or formed part of the German Democratic Republic logistical fleet.

Read more...

DIVE MALTA SUBWAY ROZI 2


This 30m tugboat named Rozi, built in Bristol, England in 1958 by Charles Hill & Sons Ltd., for Johnston Warren Lines Ltd., of Liverpool and launched as Rossmore. She was renamed Rossgarth in 1969 and in 1972 was sold to Mifsud Brothers (Malta Ship Towage) Ltd., Malta, retaining her name. In the same year, she sailed from Liverpool to Malta where in 1973 she was registered. She was sold to Tug Malta in 1981 and renamed Rozi and was sold to Captain Morgan Cruises, Malta who scuttled her as an artificial reef off Cirkewwa in 1992 as an attraction for a tourist submarine.

Read more...

tug boat sharon forder

 

The tugboats St. Michael and 10 were scuttled on the 16th May, 1998, as part of a plan to create an artificial reef at Zonqor Point in Marsascala.  At a maximum depth of 22m they are both upright on a flat sandy bottom and have created an oasis for marine life, transforming an ecologically barren area into a shore dive location which is accessible to divers of all levels.  The site is particularly well chosen because it is protected from the prevailing north-westerly

Read more...